Start Comparing Rates within Minutes!
Start Comparing Rates within Minutes and you could save!
Compare Rates Within Minutes!
- Complete 1 short quote form
- Compare rates from top insurers
- Save time & money!
Surprises in the healthcare billPosted On Tue, March 30, 2010
The healthcare reform bill will bring about sweeping changes to this nation's healthcare system and not all of them have been tauted as loudly as others.
The New York Times outlined a few provisions that didn't get as much attention.
1. Nursing mothers must be allowed breaks on the job to express breast milk as often as necessary.
2. Tanning salons will have an added 10 percent excise tax.
3. Health benefit details will be made clear on W-2 forms. "It’s about making consumers aware of what’s getting paid on their behalf toward health insurance, part of an effort to make everyone aware of how much we’re spending on healthcare services," Jennifer Tolbert, an associate director at the Kaiser Family Foundation told the Times.
4. Abstinence-only programs will get $50 million.
5. Home-visiting programs will receive $1.5 billion. They are said to teach pregnant teens during and after pregnancy parenting and coping skills that can cut child abuse and neglect nearly in half.
The healthcare bill was signed into law on Tuesday, March 23. A package of changes to the bill was passed by Congress last week and signed into law today by President Barack Obama.
Feedback or questions? Email the editor here.