Get fast, free health insurance quotes in moments!
Get Competitive Health Insurance Quotes now and save!
Compare Rates Within Minutes!
- Complete 1 short quote form
- Compare rates from top insurers
- Save time & money!
Oregon Health Insurance
According to the Center for Disease Control, an average of 14.8% of Oregon residents went uninsured for Oregon health insurance each year between 2001 and 2003.
Oregon Health Insurance Regulations
Any individual eligible for health insurance under an employer in Oregon cannot be denied or limited access under that employer’s health insurance coverage. Individual Oregon health insurance, however, can turn down any applicant on grounds of age, health or any other factor.
Pre-existing conditions can sometimes be limited in coverage under some Oregon health insurance policies. Oregon medical insurance can impose a pre-existing exclusion period of up to 24 years during which they do not cover any condition that was treated, advised, or diagnosed in the six months prior to coverage. Some Oregon health insurance companies have a 90-day waiting period before the beginning of coverage. In these cases the Oregon health insurer cannot impose a pre-existing exclusion period. Prior continuous coverage can be credited for pre-existing exclusion periods.
Pregnancy can be a pre-existing condition under Oregon health insurance law. If the individual has health insurance with dependent coverage, however, newborns and adopted children are automatically covered for the first 31 days after birth or adoption.
For individuals who loose health insurance due to job loss or are between policies, Oregon health insurance policies offer temporary insurance and portability plans. Some portability plans are offered through the Oregon Medical Insurance Pool (OMIP).
Alternative Oregon Health Insurance Options
For individuals unable to obtain Oregon health insurance because of cost or the individual’s “uninsurable” status, the state offers programs that may help:
- Oregon Medicaid is available to any qualified individual who meets the eligibility requirements.
- Oregon Health Plan helps individuals obtain medical coverage and health benefits.
- Oregon Medical Insurance Pool (OMIP) is the state’s high-risk pool for “uninsurable” individuals. The program allows these high-risk individuals to buy health insurance through the state. Pre-existing condition periods may apply.
- Oregon Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is designed to provide health insurance to children whose families do not qualify for Medicaid but cannot afford Oregon health insurance.
- Family Health Insurance Assistance Program (FHIAP) is designed to help employed individuals pay their health insurance premium. Individuals must meet eligibility criteria.
Oregon Insurance Division
PO Box 14480
Salem, OR 97309-0405
For other Oregon Insurance Resources, See:
Connect With Oregon Health Insurance Agents Now By Filling Out The Quick Form At The Top Of The Page.
Health insurance quotes are provided by licensed agents and brokers that partner with USInsuranceOnline to help consumers compare rates and save money.