Get fast, free health insurance quotes in moments!
Get Competitive Health Insurance Quotes now and save!
Compare Rates Within Minutes!
- Complete 1 short quote form
- Compare rates from top insurers
- Save time & money!
Louisiana Health Insurance
According to the Center for Disease Control, an average of 19.4% of Louisiana residents did not have Louisiana health insurance each year between 2001 and 2003.
Louisiana Health Insurance Regulations
Louisiana health insurance companies are regulated under Louisiana law and must follow certain guidelines. These guidelines and regulations help control Louisiana medical insurance policies dealing with the consumers.
Louisiana health insurance policies can impose a pre-existing condition provision which limits coverage for a medical condition that was treated or diagnosed within the twelve month period prior to the beginning of a new Louisiana health insurance plan. The pre-existing exclusion period can last no longer than 12 months under Louisiana health insurance laws.
Current Louisiana medical insurance plans can be credited towards the pre-existing condition period of new Louisiana health insurance plans. Also, all Louisiana health insurance plans come with a guaranteed renewability provision which states that any individual is guaranteed to right to renew an existing Louisiana health insurance policy provided they have not provided false information and have paid all premiums.
Louisiana health insurance companies may deny applicant approval based on age or health. No individual can be denied the right to renew an existing policy but individuals looking for new Louisiana health insurance policies may be denied. Furthermore, Louisiana health insurance rates vary depending on the individual based on health and age. An individual cannot be denied access to Louisiana health insurance that is provided under an employer, nor can that insurance be limited.
For individuals who have a lapse in insurance, some Louisiana health insurance companies provide and sell Temporary Louisiana medical insurance.
Alternative Louisiana Health Insurance Options
For those unable to obtain Louisiana health insurance because of “uninsurable” status or financial restrictions, some state programs are available:
- Louisiana Medicaid is available to all qualifying individuals who meet the eligibility criteria.
- Louisiana Health Plan is the state’s high-risk pool where individuals who might otherwise be considered “uninsurable” can buy into a Louisiana health insurance group plan. Pre-existing condition periods may apply.
- Louisiana Children’s Health Insurance Program provides Louisiana health insurance access to children up to 19 years of age whose families do not qualify for Medicaid and might not be able to afford Louisiana medical insurance.
- Senior Health Insurance Information Program provides seniors with access to Louisiana health insurance information and programs.
Louisiana Department of Insurance
Louisiana Department of Insurance:
Louisiana Department of Insurance
Post Office Box 94214
Baton Rouge, LA 70804
General Information: 1-800-259-5300 or 1-800-259-5301
Direct Telephone numbers: (225) 342-5900 or (225) 342-0895
For other Louisiana Insurance Resources, See:
Connect With Louisiana Health Insurance Agents Now By Filling Out The Quick Form At The Top Of The Page.
Health insurance quotes are provided by licensed agents and brokers that partner with USInsuranceOnline to help consumers compare rates and save money.