Get fast, free health insurance quotes in moments!
Get Competitive Health Insurance Quotes now and save!
Compare Rates Within Minutes!
- Complete 1 short quote form
- Compare rates from top insurers
- Save time & money!
Illinois Health Insurance
According to the Center for Disease control, an average of 14% of Illinois residents per year between 2001 and 2003 had not Illinois health insurance.
Illinois Health Insurance Regulations
Illinois health insurance is guaranteed renewable which means that as long as the individual has paid all premiums and has not provided false information, the Illinois health insurance company must allow that individual to renew his or her Illinois health insurance policy. Newborns and adopted children are also automatically covered under policies for 31 days after birth or adoption.
Illinois health insurance plans sometimes enforce a pre-existing exclusion period. Any individual with a medical condition diagnosed or treated prior to the beginning of a new Illinois medical insurance plan may have to wait for a designated period of time before any treatment for the condition is covered under the new plan. Under Illinois health insurance laws the exclusion period can be permanent. Each Illinois medical insurance company can choose the length of a pre-existing policy at their discretion.
Illinois health insurance companies have the right to refuse coverage to an individual based on age or health. Illinois health insurance rates are not regulated and Illinois health insurance companies may charge an individual more based on age, health or the changes of either over time. Illinois health insurance laws state that an individual cannot be denied access to health insurance when covered under Illinois medical insurance through an employer.
Some Illinois health insurance companies allow individuals to purchase temporary or conversion Illinois health insurance plans. These are useful when an individual is between jobs or Illinois health insurance plans but must be purchased within 31 days of the end of the last Illinois health insurance policy. Rates on these plans vary.
Alternative Illinois Health Insurance Options
For individuals who are “uninsurable” or have difficulty gaining or affording individual Illinois health insurance, some state programs have been created:
- Illinois Medicaid is available to individuals who meet eligibility criteria and qualifications.
- Illinois Department of Aging provides eligible individuals pay a $25 enrollment fee for this pharmaceutical assistance program.
- Illinois Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan is the Illinois high-risk pool for Illinois health insurance and allows otherwise “uninsurable” individuals access to group Illinois health insurance. Pre-existing condition periods may apply.
- KidCare is the Illinois health insurance program for children under 19 and pregnant women of any age who do not qualify for Medicaid but may not be able to afford individual Illinois health insurance.
Illinois Department of Insurance
Illinois Department of Insurance:
320 W. Washington Street
Springfield, IL 62767-0001
For other Illinois Insurance Resources, See:
Connect With Illinois Health Insurance Agents Now By Filling Out The Quick Form At The Top Of The Page.
Health insurance quotes are provided by licensed agents and brokers that partner with USInsuranceOnline to help consumers compare rates and save money.