Get fast, free health insurance quotes in moments!
Get Competitive Health Insurance Quotes now and save!
Compare Rates Within Minutes!
- Complete 1 short quote form
- Compare rates from top insurers
- Save time & money!
High Risk Health Insurance
High-risk individuals who are looking for health insurance can become eligible for high-risk medical insurance through their state. Currently there are thirty states with high-risk health insurance pools. These states are able to provide lower premium medical insurance for high-risk individuals through some forms of hospital taxes, state taxes, and the ability to negotiate lower premiums for high-risk medical insurance by “pooling” people into a group similar to employers.
Some of the ways you can become eligible for a state's high-risk pool are:
- If you receive a notice of rejection from a health insurer
- If you receive a notice of benefit reduction or specific condition exclusion
- If you receive a notice of premium rate increase or surcharge exceeding the pool rate
- If you have a qualifying condition (i.e. AIDS, cancer, diabetes)
- If you are eligible for Trade Adjustment Assistance because you lost employment due to increased imports, you may be eligible for a tax credit. In some states, this tax credit can be used for the HRP
- If you have been involuntarily terminated from a health insurance plan or
- If you are HIPAA-eligible. Note: You are HIPAA-eligible if you have had at least 18 months of prior continuous health coverage, at least the last day of which was in a group health plan; you have exhausted COBRA; you are not eligible for Medicare, Medicaid or a group health plan; you don't have other coverage; and you apply for new coverage (such as the high-risk pool) within 63 days of losing your prior coverage. If your state has designated the high-risk pool for HIPAA coverage, then it will not impose a pre-existing condition exclusion period on you when you are HIPAA-eligible.
Connect With Health Insurance Agents Now By Filling Out The Quick Form At The Top Of The Page.
Health insurance quotes are provided by licensed agents and brokers that partner with USInsuranceOnline to help consumers compare rates and save money.